Visiting is always a good idea! Visits allow you to see the campus culture and if you can imagine yourself as a part of our Iowa State University community. While on a visit, you have the opportunity to attend sessions focused on topics such as admissions, financial aid, vet school, and more. Visits also include a meeting with an advisor of the major of your interest!
Iowa State University accepts applications through an online application portal. There are different applications for different students including:
- First-year (straight from high school)
- Transfer (coming from another college or university)
- International (not USA citizens)
- Military or non-traditional (starting 1+ years after high school)
- Non-degree (just taking classes)
The admissions application should clearly walk you through any necessary steps.
Accept Your Offer
After submitting your application, you should receive a response within a few days. If you are offered admissions to Iowa State University, it's now time to accept your offer!
After accepting your offer, you'll get several communications from Iowa State University with things you'll need to do next. Some of the most important one include:
It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required materials and confirm they have been received. Allow several weeks for processing, then check with NREM for confirmation.
- Contact any NREM faculty of interest to you.
- E-mail them to inquire if they have plans to accept new graduate students.
- Attach a resume or Curriculum Vitae that describes your interests, academic background, and experience.
- Attach a cover letter briefly reviewing your background and stating as specifically as possible your graduate school and professional goals.
- If the faculty are accepting students, continue your correspondence. This may include a request for an interview.
- If the faculty indicates that they intend to nominate you for admittance, you will then begin the formal process of completing the Graduate Student Application. You will need the following materials to do so:
- Official transcripts (of all schools attended since high school)
- Three (3) letters of recommendations
- From persons qualified to judge your ability and potential for graduate study.
- Inform your references that this should be completed using an electronic form e-mailed to them through the application.
- International Students also submit:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
- Financial statement
- For more details, visit the Graduate Application Information page
Once all items on the checklist have been completed and submitted, your completed application file, including a letter of nomination from your sponsoring professor, will be reviewed by the NREM Graduate Admission Committee. The committee will then make a recommendation for admission to the NREM Director of Graduate Education (DOGE).
Applicants must obtain sponsorship from a professor before applying. Do not apply without this. Applications submitted through Iowa State University without faculty nomination will not be reviewed. Once your sponsorship is confirmed, you will be provided directions about application.
There are no official deadlines for applications.
Once you've reached the application phase, there will be a non-refundable application fee.
The only fee waivers available are for:
- McNair scholars
- US military veterans
- Actively serving military
Other than these populations, the application fee is required. You can ask your sponsoring professor to pay this for you, but they are not required to do so.
Do not submit an application until you've secured a sponsorship.