M.S. Wildlife Ecology

Admissions Process

B.S. Degree: Biological Sciences, ecology or other related area

Minimum B.S. GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale

GRE: None

GMAT: None

TOEFL: See graduate college requirements (International Students Only)

Academic Records / Transcripts: Yes

Letters of Recommendation: Three (3)

Completed Coursework: coursework equivalent to a B.S. in biological sciences, ecology, or related areas


M.S. Degree Requirements

M.S. with thesis: 30 credits total  |  15 credits of coursework  |  10 credits of research

M.S. without thesis: 33 credits total  |  30 credits of coursework  |  3 credits creative component

Coursework includes:

  • Two quantitative courses, including:
    • Statistics 587 (Statistical Methods for Research Workers)
    • An additional 3 credit hours in Statistics courses at the 400 level or above
    • A ECL 611 (Analysis of Populations), or similar seminar, special studies, or experimental quantitative courses approved by the POS Committee and Director of Graduate Education (DOGE)
  • One course from the following:
    • A ECL 516 (Avian Ecology)
    • A ECL 531 (Conservation Biology)
    • A ECL 551 (Wildlife Behavioral Ecology)
    • A ECL 589 (Population Ecology)
    • A ECL 554 (Principles of Wildlife Disease)
  • One additional 3 cr. course offered by the NREM department
  • In addition to the above requirements, graduate students are strongly encouraged to develop competency in plant ecology. Federal employment as a wildlife biologist and professional certification by The Wildlife Society both require 9 credit hours in plant sciences at either the undergraduate or graduate level. We also strongly encourage students to take at least 1 course in the area of natural resource policy, administration, or human dimensions.



There's the possibility of students receiving an assistantship (teaching or research) to help cover the costs of their program. Master Degree students with an assistantship can expect to receive:

  • A stipend starting at approximately $2,252
  • Healthcare benefits
  • 75% of tuition remission

View All Funding Opportunities


Interdepartmental Graduate Majors

Students may also select interdepartmental graduate majors in 



Ready to join us in NREM?

Explore our faculty and find a sponsor or learn next steps for the NREM admissions process.