You are here
NREM Reads is a community-wide common read program within the Natural Resource Ecology and Management Department that seeks to elevate conversations around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the department. The initiative started in 2020 with the book The Home Place: Memoirs of a Colored Man's Love Affair With Nature by Dr. Drew Lanham. Through the initiative, we seek to engage the NREM community of learners and scholars in important conversations about inclusion and diversity in the natural resources discipline.
2020 NREM Reads Activities
Errington Lecture: Coloring the Conservation Conversation
On Thursday October 22nd, 2020 The Home Place author, Dr. Drew Lanham gave a presentation titled "Coloring the Conservation Conversation" in the NREM-sponsored Errington Lectureship. Dr. Lanham is a Clemson University professor, wildlife ecologist, poet, and author. You can view a recording of the lecture by visiting this page.
Reading The Home Place
100 free copies of The Home Place were distributed to NREM students interested in participating in the common read program and associated events. Purchase of the books was funded by faculty in NREM.
The Parks Library also curated resources for digital copies of The Home Place. Visit the resource here to access the ebook and download shorter PDFs of the book for use in instruction or discussion.
NREM 505 Section 2: The Home Place Discussion Group
A graduate level discussion course explored the book and the topics covered therein. Students and faculty involved with the course led department functions promoting the book and lecture.
Reading and lecture discussion groups
Reading and lecture discussion groups and community conversations were held among students and faculty surrounding the book.
Products from the 2020 initiative
- Voices of NREM Reads, a video compilation of NREM students, staff, and faculty reading from The Home Place. Video produced by Julia Baker as part of NREM 505.
- NREM Reflections on Nature and Homeplace, stories shared by ISU students on their connections to place. Video produced by Tiffanie Stone as part of NREM 505.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion initiative in the NREM department, Iowa State Daily article about the initiative
- NREM Reads project fostered appreciation for 'home' and diversity, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences press release.
- NREM Reads profiles in the 2021 issue of NREM's Field Notes