Information on prairie strips will be presented at the the following field days and extension events in 2018.
- June 19: Neely-Kinyon Farm Field Day in Adair County. This event starts at 9:30 am and goes until 1 pm. A free lunch will be served at noon. Spring/fall field conditions, honey and native bee health, and Neely-Kinyon on farm projects and plans will also be discussed. Team member Tim Youngquist will present along with Randall Cass, Jim Rogers, Aaron Saeugling, and Mike Witte. ISU's Neely-Kinyon Memorial Research and Demonstration Farm is located at 2557 Norfolk Ave., Greenfield, IA.
- June 21: Roverud Family Farm in Clayton County. This event starts at 5:30 pm; dinner is included at the end of the event. Topics include how to plant prairie on farms, landowner insights, maintenance and weed control, and water quality improvement. Team member Tim Youngquist will present along with Ashley Kittle, Adam Rodenberg, and Larry Stone. The Tallgrass Prairie Center is co-hosting this event. Registration is free but please RSVP with Staci Mueller at email@example.com, or 319-273-3866. The Roverud Family Farm is located at 19575 Sandpit Road, Elkader, IA.
- August 11: Okoboji Blue Water Festival in Dickinson County. STRIPS team member Chris Witte will be hosting a booth on prairie strips from 10 am to 3 pm at the Okoboji Blue Water Festival. A field trip to the nearby Hoien Farm to see a commercial farm application of prairie strips will depart at 3:15 pm. Contact Chris Witte if you would like to reserve a space on the field trip (email; phone: 573-864-6629).
- August 23: Morse Family Farm in Iowa County. Details forthcoming.
- September 13: J.H. Roadman Memorial Park in Grundy County. This event is being hosted by the Tallgrass Prairie Center in partnership with the Roadman family, Hertz Farm Management, Iowa State University, and the USDA Agricultural Research Service Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment. A complimentary meal will be provided at the conclusion of the event. Contact Ashley Kittle from the Tallgrass Prairie Center for more information (email; phone: 319-273-3828).
Additional details on late summer field days will be posted when available. Field day evaluations should be sent to Nancy Grudens-Schuck, ISU Agricultural Education and Studies, 217D Curtiss Hall, 513 Farm House Lane, Ames, IA 50011-1054.