Information on prairie strips will be presented at the the following field days and extension events in 2017.
- June 15: Private farm in Montgomery County. This event begins at 10 am and is open to members of Practical Farmers of Iowa and Trees Forever. Contact one of these organizations for more information. Team member Tim Youngquist will present. Cover crops, multispecies riparian buffers, and market gardening will also be discussed.
- June 29: A workshop on integrating perennials into working lands will include a field tour of farmer Gary Guthrie's prairie strips in Story County, Iowa. Other speakers include Bob Hartzler from Iowa State University, Dana Holland from the NRCS, Jon Judson from Diversity Farms, and Dave Muth from AgSolver. Contact Catherine DeLong from Conservation Districts of Iowa for more information (email; phone: 515-289-8300).
- August 1: Tesdell Century Farm located between Huxley and Slater in Story County, Iowa. The event begins at 6:00 pm. Team member Tim Youngquist will present. Cover crops, saturated buffers, and stream buffers will also be discussed. This event is being hosted by Iowa Learning Farms. Here are Directions to the Tesdell Century farm.
- August 3: Doudlah Farms Annual Organic Field Day will be held at the Cooksville Community Center, in Cooksville, Wisconsin and Doudlah Farms, LCC near Evansville, Wisconsin. This event begins at 8 am and continues for the whole day. Team member Lisa Schulte Moore will present. Register through Doudlah Farms. More information is available here.
- August 17: Iowa State University Armstrong Memorial Research and Demonstration Farm will host a field day from 9 am-noon. The Armstrong Farm is located near Lewis, Iowa and a meal will be served. Team member Tim Youngquist will present on prairie strips. Contact Shawn Shouse from ISU Extension for more information (email; phone: 712-769-2650).
- September 21: J.H. Roadman Memorial Park located 1.5 miles west of Dike in Grundy County, Iowa. The event begins at 4:30 pm. Team member Tim Youngquist will be presenting. Saturated buffers will also be discussed. This event is being hosted by the Tallgrass Prairie Center in partnership with the Roadman family, Hertz Farm Management, Iowa State University, and the USDA Agricultural Research Service Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment. A complimentary meal will be provided at the conclusion of the event. Contact Ashley Kittle from the Tallgrass Prairie Center for more information (email; phone: 319-273-3828).