Laboratories are located in the basement of Science II (rooms 02, 10, and 12)
Walleye and Hybrid Walleye, Hybrid Striped Bass, Bluegill and Hybrid Bluegill, Rainbow Trout, Yellow Perch, and Largemouth Bass.
Topics covered in last ten years:
- Mass culture of larval walleye on formulated feed; training pond-reared walleye fingerlings to formulated feed in intensive culture; early development of walleye; behavior of larval walleye; physiological studies on walleye (respiration, metabolite production, endocrinology [thryoid hormones]); performance of walleye and hybrid walleye; environmental (oil films and turbidity) effects on tank culture of larval walleye; toxicity of hydrogen peroxide to fingerling walleye and hybrid striped bass; low stress measures for transport of walleye from hatchery to lake stocking sites; and evaluation of walleye stocks.
- Compensatory growth in hybrid sunfish.
- Comparison of bluegill and hybrid sunfish raised in a recycle aquaculture system.
- Diet formulation
- Substitute ingredients for fish meal in formulating fish diets that have low phosphorus content.
- Low-phosphorus feed formulations for rainbow trout and hybrid striped bass.
- Aquatic toxicology
- Estrogens in effluents from Iowa wastewater treatment facilities.
- Toxicity of pesticides adsorbed to suspended sediment to larval fish in the Cedar River.
- Suspended sediment and pesticide interaction and toxicity to larval fish.