Dr. Koford specializes in birds that nest in grasslands, including songbirds and dabbling ducks. He has a diverse background in ecology, conservation biology, behavioral ecology, population biology, and wildlife research techniques. He also participates in the interdepartmental program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- Jacobs, R. B., F. R. Thompson, III, R. R. Koford, F. A. La Sorte, H. Woodward, and J. A. Fitzgerald. 2012. Habitat and landscape effects on grassland birds in Missouri. Journal of Wildlife Management.
- Hovick, T. J., J. R. Miller, R. R. Koford, D. M. Engle, and D. M. Debinski. 2011. Postfledging survival of grasshopper sparrows in grasslands managed with fire and grazing. Condor 113:429–437.
- Vogel, J. A., R. R. Koford, and D. L. Otis. 2011. Assessing the role of conspecific attraction in habitat restoration for Henslow’s sparrows in Iowa. Prairie Naturalist 43:23-28.
- Jain, A. A., R. R. Koford, A. W. Hancock, and G. G. Zenner. 2011. Bat mortality and activity at a northern Iowa wind resource area. Am. Midl. Nat.165:185-200.
- Vogel, J. A., R. R. Koford, and D. M. Debinski. 2010. Direct and indirect responses of tallgrass prairie butterflies to prescribed burning. J. Insect Conserv. 14:663–677.
- Ribic, C. A., R. R. Koford, J. R. Herkert, D. H. Johnson, N. D. Niemuth, D. E. Naugle, K. K. Bakker, D. W. Sample, and R. B. Renfrew. 2009. Area sensitivity in North American grassland birds: patterns and processes. Auk 126:233-244.
- Arnett, E. B., W. K. Brown, W. P. Erickson, J. K. Fiedler, B. L. Hamilton, T. H. Henry, A. Jain, G. D. Johnson, J. Kerns, R. R. Koford, C. P. Nicholson, T. J. O’Connell, M. D. Piorkowski, R. D. Tankersley, Jr. 2008. Patterns of bat fatalities at wind energy facilities in North America. J. Wildl. Manage. 72:61-78.
- Vogel, J. A., D. M. Debinski, R. R. Koford, J. R. Miller. 2007. Butterfly responses to prairie restoration through fire and grazing. Biol. Conserv. 140:78–90.
- Horn, D. J., and R. R. Koford. 2006. Could the area-sensitivity of some grassland birds be affected by landscape composition? Pages 109-116 in Egan, D, and J. A. Harrington, editors, Proceedings of the 19th North American Prairie Conference. Madison: University of Wisconsin–Madison.
- Fletcher, R. J., Jr., R. R. Koford, and D.A. Seaman. 2006. Critical demographic parameters for declining songbirds breeding in restored grasslands. J. Wildlife Management 70:145-157.
- Koford, R. R., and J. A. Fitzgerald. 2005. Measuring the success of bird conservation plan implementation. Pp. 68-70 in C. J. Ralph and T. D. Rich, eds., Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas: proceedings of the third international Partners in Flight conference. U.S.F.S. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-191.
- Jacobs, B., R. R. Koford, F. R. Thompson, III, H. Woodward, M. Hubbard, J. A. Fitzgerald, and J. R. Herkert. 2005. Grassland bird conservation efforts in Missouri and Iowa: How will we measure success? Pp. 78-82 in C. J. Ralph and T. D. Rich, eds., Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas: Proceedings of the third international Partners in Flight conference. U.S.F.S. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-191.
- Horn, D. J., M. L. Phillips, R. R. Koford, W. R. Clark, M. A. Sovada, and R. J. Greenwood. 2005. Landscape composition, patch size, and distance to edges: interactions affecting duck reproductive success. Ecological Applications 15:1367-1376.
- Fletcher, R. J., Jr., and R. R. Koford. 2004. Consequences of rainfall variation for breeding wetland blackbirds. Can. J. Zool. 82:1316–1325.