I am a wildlife ecologist interested in investigating ecological and genetic factors that influence the health of wildlife populations with the goal of contributing to their successful conservation and management.
- Lewis, C.E., L.C. Bartholomay, J.A. Blanchong. 2019. Feeding of adult Ornithodoros tartakovskyi ticks using a modified artificial membrane feeding system. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, doi:10.1111/mve.12398.
- Wolff, P.L., J.A. Blanchong, D.D. Nelson, P.J. Plummer, C. McAdoo, M. Cox, T.E. Besser, J. Munoz-Gutierrez, C.A. Anderson. 2019. Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae detection in pneumonic mountain goat kids. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 55:206-212.
- Blanchong, J.A., C.A. Anderson, N.J. Clark, R.W. Klaver, P.J. Plummer, M. Cox, C. McAdoo, P.L. Wolff. 2018. Respiratory disease, behavior and survival of mountain goat kids. Journal of Wildlife Management 82:1243-1251.
- Houston, D.D. S. Azeem, C.W. Lundy, Y. Sato, B. Guo, J.A. Blanchong, P.C. Gauger, D.R. Marks, K.-J. Yoon, J.S. Adelman. 2017. Evaluating the role of wild songbirds or rodents in spreading avian influenza across an agricultural landscape. Peer J DOI 10.7717/peerj.4060.
- Blanchong, J.A., W.J. Reiter-Marolf, S.J. Dinsmore. 2017. Mercury exposure in Bald Eagles admitted for rehabilitation in Iowa. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 53:593-595.
- Reiter-Marolf, W.J., S.J. Dinsmore, J.A. Blanchong. 2017. Environmental contaminants in excrement of Iowa’s nesting and wintering Bald Eagles. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 129:148-154.
- Blanchong, J.A., S.J. Robinson, M.D. Samuel, J.T. Foster. 2016. Application of genetics and genomics to wildlife epidemiology. Journal of Wildlife Management 80:593-608.
- Reiter-Marolf, W.J., S.J. Dinsmore, J.A. Blanchong. 2016. An evaluation of excrement as an alternative to blood for characterizing lead exposure in bald eagles. Wildlife Society Bulletin 40:174-180.
- Randall, N.J., B.J. Blitvich, J.A. Blanchong. 2013. Association between agricultural land use and West Nile virus seroprevalence in Iowa birds. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 49:869-873.
- Blanchong, J.A., A.B. Sorin, K.T. Scribner. 2013. Genetic diversity and population structure in urban white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:855-862.
- Randall, N.J., B.J. Blitvich, J.A. Blanchong. 2012. The efficacy of wildlife rehabilitation centers in the surveillance and monitoring of pathogen activity: A case study with West Nile virus. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 48:648-653.
- Sippy, R., C. Sandoval-Green, O. Sahin, P. Plummer, W.S. Fairbanks, Q. Zhang, J.A. Blanchong. 2012. Occurrence and molecular analysis of Campylobacter in wildlife on livestock farms. Veterinary Microbiology 157:369-375.
- Lang, K.R., J.A. Blanchong. 2012. Population genetic structure of white-tailed deer: understanding risk of chronic wasting disease spread. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:832-840.
- Blanchong, J.A., D.A. Grear, B.V. Weckworth, D.P. Keane, K.T. Scribner, M.D. Samuel. 2012. Effects of chronic wasting disease on reproduction and fawn harvest vulnerability in Wisconsin white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 48:361-370.
- Blanchong, J.A., D.M. Heisey, K.T. Scribner, S.V. Libants, C. Johnson, J.M. Aiken, J.A. Langenberg, M.D. Samuel. 2009. Genetic susceptibility to chronic wasting disease in free-ranging white-tailed deer: Complement component C1q and Prnp polymorphisms. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 9:1329-1335.
- Blanchong, J.A., M.D. Samuel, K.T. Scribner, B.V. Weckworth, J.A. Langenberg, K.B. Filcek. 2008. Landscape genetics and the spatial distribution of chronic wasting disease. Biology Letters 4:130-133.
- Conner, M.M., M.R. Ebinger, J.A. Blanchong, P.C. Cross. 2008. Infectious disease in cervids of North America: data, models, and management challenges. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1134:146-172.
- Blanchong, J.A., S.N. Kravchenko, K.T. Scribner, S.R. Winterstein. 2007. TB-infected deer are more closely related than non-infected deer. Biology Letters 3:103-105.
Area of Expertise:
B.S., Biology, Bowling Green State University
M.S., Zoology, Michigan State University
Ph.D., Fisheries and Wildlife; Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior, Michigan State University