Dr Jovanovic's main research focus is in the area of Nanotoxicology and Aquatic Ecotoxicology. Primarily he is interested in non-soluble suspended materials of anthropogenic origin - mainly nanoparticles and microplastics and their effects on the environment. He conducts his research in both freshwater and marine environment.
Clusters of interest:
1) Outdoor mesocosm aquatic ecosystem studies with nanoparticles and microplastics;
2) Benthic macroinvertebrates community nanotoxicology (recolonization studies and in situ microcosms with nanoparticles)
3) Effects of nanoparticles on fish disease resistance and fish nanoimmunotoxicology.
4) Chironomid midges (Diptera) as bioindicators of nanoparticles/microplastics pollution
5) Fruit fly (Drosophila) nanotoxicology as a relevant model for human exposure to nanoparticles/microplastics