You are here
NREM Vision and Mission
The Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management is dedicated to the understanding, effective management, and sustainable use of our renewable natural resources through the Land Grant missions of teaching, research, and extension. NREM’s disciplinary focus is broad in scope, ranging from individual organisms to landscapes, from natural to managed ecosystems, from wilderness to agricultural and urban systems, from local to international environments, and from resource preservation to sustainable use. Understanding and effectively managing our natural resources requires long-term vision and multidisciplinary approaches involving NREM personnel working with people from other diverse disciplines across the university and within federal and state agencies and non-governmental organizations. NREM reflects a diversity of disciplines, including ecology and other biological sciences, social science, economics, sustainable resource management and use, and human dimensions. NREM serves society through the land-grant tradition of working with undergraduate and graduate students, state and federal government agencies, non-governmental organizations, businesses, and the public. As such, NREM provides answers to natural resource problems in Iowa, the Midwest, and the nation. The vision that drives NREM is multidimensional and consists of the following:
• Providing a student-centered environment for instruction and advising, and promoting activities that foster social, learning, and professional networking;
• Producing graduates who are widely considered top-quality professionals - competent, capable, collaborative, dependable, and disciplined;
• Maintaining mutually productive and supportive relationships with stakeholders (landowners, agencies, parents, students, and conservation groups);
• Conducting excellent applied and basic research, particularly “solution science” that is relevant and focused on Iowa and the Midwest, but also has global application;
• Providing outreach and extension that serves the interest of stakeholders and promotes natural resource sustainability.