Note that many LESEM Lab publications are freely available through Iowa State University's Digital Repository -- a good deal for all! Contact us if you want a pdf of one of our papers and cannot access it through the web.
- Audia, AM. 2021. Balancing crop and ecosystem service production in the US Corn Belt through spatially targeted conservation. MS thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Audia, EM, LA Schulte, DE James. 2021. Mapping the Soil Vulnerability Index across large spatial extents to guide conservation efforts. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 76:44A-50A. Online.
- Batwara, N. 2021. Developing blockchain exercises using PEWI: analyzing blockchain use in agricultural supply chain. MS creative component. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Brown, RC, L Schulte Moore, T Daugaard. 2021. Letters: Carbon removal could, in fact, bring great benefits. Ames Tribune. Online.
- Caviglia-Harris, J, K Hodges, B Helmuth, E Bennett, K Galvin, M Krebs, K Lipps, M Lowman, LA Schulte, and T Schurr. 2021. The six dimensions of collective leadership that advance sustainability objectives: rethinking what it means to be an academic leader. Ecology and Society 26(3):9. DOI: 10.5751/ES-12396-260309. Online.
- Garibaldi, LA, LA Schulte, D Gomez Carella, D Nabaes Jordar, C Kremen. 2021. Time to integrate pollinator science into soybean production. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 2844. Online.
- Rosburg, T, Beth Waage, L Schulte Moore, B Johnson. 2021. Iowa's nature series: prairies. Extension Publication WL17d. Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, Ames, Iowa. Online.
- Schulte Moore, L. 2021. Climate-friendly farming strategies can improve the land and generate income for farmers. The Conversation. Online.
- Schulte Moore, L, D Andersen, B Sievers. 2021. A sustainable solution for Iowa. Quad City Times. Online.
- Upadhaya, S, JG Arbuckle, LA Schulte. 2021. Developing farmer typologies to inform conservation outreach in agricultural landscapes. Land Use Policy 101: 105157. doi: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2020.105157. Online.
- Valek, R, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte. 2021. People in Ecosystems/Watershed Integration (PEWI) v4 software. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. DOI: 10.31274/nrem-20210804-0. Online.
- Anderson, K, N Grudens-Schuck, R Valek, LA Schulte, S Smalley. 2020. Alignment of a digital watershed and land use game to national science and agriculture education standards. Journal of Natural Sciences Education: 2020;49:e20005. doi: 10.1002/nse2.20005. Online.
- Chennault, CM, RM Valek, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte. 2020. PEWI: An interactive web-based ecosystem services model designed for a broad public audience. Ecological Modelling 431:109165. Online.
- Chennault, CM, RM Valek, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte. 2020. Corrigendum to PEWI: An interactive web-based ecosystem service model for a broad public audience [Ecological Modelling 2020 431: 109165]. Ecological Modelling 431:109165. Online.
- Grudens-Schuck, N, and LA Schulte Moore. 2020. Teaching about land use and watersheds in PEWI. Getting into Soil and Water 2020:22-23. Online.
- Garibaldi, LA, F Oddi, F Miguez, I Bartomeus, M Orr, E Jobbagy, C Kremen, LA Schulte, A Hughes, C Bagnato, G Abramson, P Bridgewater, D Gomez Carella, S Díaz, L Dicks, E Ellis, M Goldenberg, CA Huaylla, M Kuperman, Z Mehrabi, F Santibañez, C-D Zhu. 2020. Working landscapes need at least 20% native habitat. Conservation Letters: e12773. Online.
- Valek, R. 2020. Advancing PEWI: An ecosystem service and economic outcomes simulator for agricultural and natural resource education. PhD Dissertation. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Larsen, D, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte, N Grudens-Schuck. 2019. Exploring stakeholder consensus for multiple outcomes in agriculture: an Iowa case study. Frontiers in Sustainable Food and Agricultural Systems 3:110. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2019.00110. Online.
- Schulte Moore, L. 2019. Iowa's farmers -- and American eaters -- need a national discussion on transforming US agriculture. The Conversation. Online.
- Stephenson, MD, LA Schulte, RW Klaver. 2019. Quantifying thermal imager effectiveness for detecting bird nests on farms. Wildlife Society Bulletin 43: 302-307.
- Zimmerman, EK. 2019. Identifying opportunities for co-production of commodities and water quality improvements in agricultural landscapes in the US Cornbelt. PhD Dissertation. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Zimmerman, EK, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte, GL D Larsen. 2019. Farmer and farmland owner views on spatial targeting for soil conservation and water quality. Water Resources Research 55: 3796-3814.
- Zimmerman, EK, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte. 2019. Using spatially targeted conservation to evaluate nitrogen reduction and economic opportunities for best management practice placement in agricultural landscapes. Environmental Management 64(3):313-328.
- Brandes, E, G McNunn, LA Schulte, D Muth, A VanLoocke, E Heaton. 2018. Targeted subfield switchgrass integration could improve the farm economy, water quality, and bioenergy feedstock production. Global Change Biology Bioenergy 10:199-212.
- Miller, EJ. 2018. Assessing reduction of soil erosion in row-crop-prairie systems through mixed effect and simulation modeling. Stanford University, Stanford, California.
- Rieb, JT, R Chaplin-Kramer, GC Daily, PR Armsworth, K Böhning-Gaese, A Bonn, GS Cumming, F Eigenbrod, V Grimm, BM Jackson, A Marques, SK Pattanayak, H Pereira, GD Peterson, TH Ricketts, BE Robinson, M Schröter, LA Schulte, R Seppelt, MG Turner, EM Bennett. 2018. Response to Kabisch and colleagues. When, were, and how nature matters for ecosystem services. BioScience 68 (3):167-168.
- Schulte Moore, Lisa. 2018. Reflection, empowerment, and co-constructed research: leadership lessons from an initiative to transform Iowa agriculture. In: Leopold Leadership Program. Retrieved from: https://leopoldleadership.stanford.edu
- Valek, R, CM Chennault, JC Tyndall, LA Schulte. 2018. People in Ecosystems/Watershed Integration (PEWI) v3 software”. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. DOI: 10.31274/nrem-20191121-1. Online.
- Anwar, U, LA Schulte, MJ Helmers, R Kolka. 2017. The effect of five biomass cropping systems on soil-saturated hydraulic conductivity across a topographic gradient. Bioenergy Research 10 (3):824-831.
- Enloe, S, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall. 2017. Public-private partnerships working beyond scale challenges toward water quality improvement from private lands. Environmental Management 60: 574-587.
- Hill, J. 2017. Cup plant biases prairie nitrogen composition in response to increasing community diversity. Honors Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Hladik, ML, S Bradbury, LA Schulte, M Helmers, C Witte, DW Kolpin, J Garrett, M Harris. 2017. Neonicotinoid insecticide removal by prairie strips in row-cropped watersheds with historical seed coating use. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 241:160-167.
- Rieb, JT, R Chaplin-Kramer, GC Daily, PR Armsworth, K Böhning-Gaese, A Bonn, GS Cumming, F Eigenbrod, V Grimm, BM Jackson, A Marques, SK Pattanayak, H Pereira, GD Peterson, TH Ricketts, BE Robinson, M Schröter, LA Schulte, R Seppelt, MG Turner, EM Bennett. 2017. When, were, and how nature matters for ecosystem services. BioScience 67 (9):820–833.
- Schulte Moore, L. 2017. Through the looking glass: the Leopold Center’s role in my career. Leopold Letter (Spring): 7.
- Schulte, LA, JB Niemi, MJ Helmers, M Liebman, JG Arbuckle, DE James, RK Kolka, ME O’Neal, MD Tomer, JC Tyndall, H Asbjornsen, P Drobney, J Neal, G Van Ryswyk, C Witte. 2017. Prairie strips improve biodiversity and the delivery of multiple ecosystem services from corn-soybean croplands. PNAS 114 (42): 201620229.
- Schulte, LA, TA Ontl, GLD Larsen. 2017. Biofuels and Biodiversity, Wildlife Habitat Restoration. In: Reference Module in Life Sciences, Elsevier.
- Schulte, LA, and JC Tyndall. 2017. Understanding land-use feedbacks and ecosystem service tradeoffs in agriculture. Chapter 19 in Gergel, SE, MG Turner. Learning landscape ecology: concepts and tools for sustainable landscapes, 2nd edition. Springer, New York, NY.
- Shea, E, LA Schulte, B Palik. 2017. Decade-long bird community response to the spatial pattern of variable retention harvesting in red pine (Pinus resinosa). Forest Ecology and Management 402:272-284.
- Shea, M, LA Schulte, B Palik. 2017. From "Reconstructing vegetation past: pre-Euro-American vegetation for the Midwest Drifltless Area, USA" (2014). In: Meine, C, and K Keeley. The Driftless Reader, The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Stephenson, MD. 2017. Quantifying methods to improve statistical power in grassland and passerine bird nesting studies. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Brandes, E, GS McNunn, LA Schulte, IJ Bonner, DJ Muth, BA Babcock, B Sharma, EA Heaton. 2016. Subfield profitability analysis reveals an economic case for cropland diversification. Environmental Research Letters: 014009.
- Chennault, CM, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall. 2016. PEWI: A web-based learning tool for evaluating ecosystem service tradeoffs from watersheds. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 71: 31A-36A.
- Huang, S, G Hu, C Chennault*, L Su, E Brandes, E Heaton, LA Schulte, L Wang, J Tyndall. 2016. An agent-based simulation of farmer decision making on bioenergy crop adoption. Energy 115:1188-1201.
- Schulte Moore, LA 2016. Growing our prairie roots. Views from the Field: October Issue.
- Schulte, LA, CM Chennault, N Grudens-Schuck, JC Tyndall, and R Valek. 2016. Getting into Soil and Water Virtually with PEWI. Getting Into Soil and Water 2016:24-25.
- Schulte, LA, AL MacDonald, JB Niemi, MJ Helmers. 2016. Prairie strips as a mechanism to promote land sharing by birds in industrial agricultural landscapes. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 220:55-63.
- Wilson, DM, TP Gunther, LA Schulte, KJ Moore, and EA Heaton. 2016. Variety interacts with space and time to influence switchgrass quality. Crop Science 56:773-785.
- Zimmerman, E. 2016. Learning how to have our cake and eat it, too: identifying opportunities for co-production of commodities and ecosystem services in Iowa. Field Notes 7:28-31.
- Knoot, TG, ME Shea, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall, MD Nelson, CH Perry, BJ Palik. 2015. Forest change in the Driftless Area of the Midwest: from a preferred to undesirable future. Forest Ecology and Management 341:110-120.
- Larsen, GL D, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall. 2015. How should Iowa's agricultural landscape look? Rootstalk 1:41-46.
- Liebman, M, LA Schulte. 2015. Enhancing agroecosystem performance and resilience through increased diversification of landscapes and cropping systems. Elementa:
- McGranahan, D, PW Brown, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall. 2015. Associating conservation/production patterns in U.S. farm policy with agricultural land-use in three Iowa, USA townships, 1933-2002. Land Use Policy 45:76-85.
- Ontl, TA, CA Cambardella, LA Schulte, RK Kolka. 2015. Factors influencing aggregation and particulate organic matter responses to bioenergy crops across a topographic gradient. Geoderma 255-256:1-11.
- Anwar, U. 2014. Soil moisture patterns and hydraulic properties associated with alternative biomass cropping systems across a landscape gradient. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Asbjornsen, H, V Hernandez-Santana, M Liebman, J Bayala, J Chen, M Helmers, CK Ong, and LA Schulte. 2014. Targeting perennial vegetation in agricultural landscapes for enhancing ecosystem services. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 29:101-125.
- Chennault, CM. 2014. People in Ecosystems/Watershed Integration: visualizing ecosystem services tradeoffs in agricultural landscapes. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Chennault, CM, R Frahm, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall, J VanDyk. 2014. People in Ecosystems/Watershed Integration (PEWI) v2 software. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. DOI: 10.31274/nrem-20191121-0. Online.
- Cox, R, M O’Neal, R Hessel, LA Schulte, M Helmers. 2014. The impact of prairie strips on aphidophagous predator abundance and soybean aphid predation in agricultural catchments. Environmental Entomology 43:1185-1197.
- Enloe, S. 2014. Toward a collaborative model of surface water management: lessons from the Boone River watershed nutrient management initiative. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Enloe, S, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall. 2014. Fostering collaborative watershed management: lessons learned from the Boone River Watershed, Iowa. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 69:149A-153A.
- Knoot, TG, GL Drake Larsen, LA Schulte. 2014. So you need a social monitoring plan: now what? Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 69:84A-88A.
- Schulte Moore, LA 2014. Prairie strips: bringing biodiversity, improved soil quality, and soil protection to agriculture. Missouri Prairie Journal 35: 12-15.
- Shea, ME, LA Schulte, BJ Palik. 2014. Reconstructing vegetation past: pre-Euro-American vegetation for the Midwest Driftless Area, USA. Ecological Restoration 32:417-433.
- Wilson, DM, EA Heaton, LA Schulte, TP Gunther, ME Shea, RB Hall, WL Headlee, KJ Moore, NN Boersma. 2014. Establishment and short-term productivity of annual and perennial bioenergy crops across a landscape gradient. BioEnergy Research 7:885-898.
- Enloe, S, LA Schulte, J Tyndall. 2013. Toward strategic watershed management: lessons from the Boone River watershed program evaluation. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Heaton, EA, LA Schulte, M Berti, H Langeveld, W Zegada-Lizarazu, D Parrish, A Monti. 2013. Managing a 2G crop portfolio through sustainable intensification: examples from the US and EU. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 7:702-714.
- Hirsh, SM, CM Mabry, LA Schulte, M Liebman. 2013. Diversifying agricultural catchments by incorporating prairie buffer strips. Ecological Restoration 31:201-211.
- Jordan, N, LA Schulte, C Williams, D Mulla, D Pitt, C Schively-Slotterback, R Jackson, D Landis, B Dale, D Becker, M Rickenbach, M Helmers, R Bringi. 2013. Landlabs: an integrated approach to creating agricultural enterprises that meet the triple bottom line. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement 17:175-200.
- Liebman, MZ, MJ Helmers, LA Schulte, CA Chase. 2013. Using biodiversity to link agricultural productivity with environmental quality: Results from three field experiments in Iowa. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 28:115-128.
- Manatt, RK, A Hallam, LA Schulte, EA Heaton, T Gunther, RB Hall, KJ Moore. 2013. Farm-scale costs and returns for second-generation bioenergy cropping systems in the U.S. Corn Belt. Environmental Research Letters 8:035037.
- McGranahan, DA, PW Brown, LA Schulte, J Tyndall. 2013. A historical primer on the U.S. farm bill: Supply management and conservation policy. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 68:67A-73A.
- Ontl, TA. 2013 Soil carbon cycling and storage of bioenergy cropping systems across a heterogeneous agroecosystem. PhD dissertation. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Ontl, TA, KS Hofmockel, CA Cambardella, LA Schulte, RK Kolka. 2013. Topographic and soil influences on root productivity of three bioenergy cropping systems. New Phytologist 199: 727-737.
- Schulte, LA, TA Ontl, GL D Larsen. 2013. Biofuels and biodiversity, Wildlife habitat restoration. Pages 540-551 in Levin, S.A., editor. Encyclopedia of Biodiversity, 2nd edition. Elsevier, London, UK.
- Schulte Moore, L. 2013. Farm bill politics may prove devistating to the environment. Scientific American: online forum.
- Shea, EL. 2013. Ecological forestry to enhance stand complexity: songbird community response in a red pine (Pinus resinosa) forest. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Tyndall, JC, LA Schulte, M Liebman, MJ Helmers. 2013. Field-level financial assessment of contour prairie strips for enhancement of environmental quality. Environmental Management 52:736-747.
- Corace, RG, III, LM Shartell, LA Schulte, WL Brininger, MKD. McDowell, DM Kashian. 2012. An ecoregional context for forest management on National Wildlife Refuges in the Upper Midwest, USA. Environmental Management 49:359-371.
- Cox Ohde, R. 2012. The use of reconstructed prairies in Iowa's agricultural landscape to increase ecosystem services and move towards multifunctionality. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- Farnsworth, D, LA Schulte, S Hickey. 2012. Evaluation of current and alternative spatial patterns of grassland in the Loess Hills. Pages 8 - 17 in the Proceedings of the 22nd North American Prairie Conference.
- Grudens-Schuck, N, GL D Larsen. 2012. Using Delphi to track sthifts in meanings of scienctific concepts in a long-term, expert-lay collaboration on sustainable agriculture research in the Midwest. Pages 163-171 in the Proceedings of the conference Between Scientists and Citizens: Assessing Expertise in Policy Controversies.
- Jarchow, ME, I Kubiszewski, GL D Larsen, et al. 2012. The future of agriculture and society in Iowa: Four scenarios. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 10:76-92.
- MacDonald, AL. 2012. Blurring the lines between production and conservation lands: Bird use of prairie strips in row-cropped landscapes. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Ontl, TA, LA Schulte. 2012. Soil carbon storage. Nature Education Knowledge 3(7):22. URL: http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/soil-carbon-storage-842...
- Schulte Moore, LA. 2012. Reinforcing our foundations in oak. Wisconsin Natural Resources Magazine, June. URL: http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2012/06/oaks.htm
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, LM Westphal. 2011. Tweak, adapt, or transform: policy scenarios in response to emerging bioenergy markets in the U.S. Corn Belt. Ecology and Society 16 (1): 10. [online] URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol16/iss1/art10/
- Brown, PW, LA Schulte. 2011. Agricultural landscape change (1937-2002) in three townships in Iowa, USA. Landscape and Urban Planning 100: 202-212.
- Larsen, GL D 2011. Farming for ecosystem services: a case study of multifunctional agriculture in Iowa, USA. MS Thesis. Iowa State University, Ames, IA. ( pdf 7M)
- Liu, F, DJ Mladenoff, NS Keuler, L Schulte Moore. 2011. Broad-scale variability in the historic land survey records in Wisconsin (USA) and its consequences for ecological studies. Ecological Monographs 81:259-275.
- Rickenbach, MG, LA Schulte, D Kittredge, B Labich, D Shinneman. 2011. Cross-boundary cooperation: a mechanism for sustaining ecosystem goods and services from private lands. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 66:91A-96A.
- Schmidt, N, M O'Neal, LA Schulte Moore. 2011. Effects of grassland habitat and plant nutrients on soybean aphid and natural enemy populations. Environmental Entomology 40:260-272.
- Schulte, LA, EC Mottl, BJ Palik. 2011. The association of two invasive shrubs, common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) and Tartarian honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica), with oak communities in the Midwestern U.S. Canadian Journal of Forest Reserach 41:1981-1992.
- Tyndall, JC, LA Schulte, RB Hall. 2011. Expanding the US Cornbelt biomass portfolio: forester perceptions of the potential for woody biomass. Small-scale Forestry 10: 287-303.
- Tyndall, JC, LA Schulte, RB Hall, KR Grubh. 2011. Woody biomass in the U.S. Cornbelt? Constraints and opportunities in the supply. Biomass and Bioenergy 35:1561-1571.
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, LM Westphal. 2010. How to build multifunctional agricultural landscapes in the U.S. Corn Belt: add perennials and partnerships. Land Use Policy 27:1082-1090.
- Berges, SA, LA Schulte Moore, TM Isenhart, RC Schultz. 2010. Bird species diversity in riparian buffers, row crop fields, and grazed pastures in agriculturally dominated watersheds. Agroforestry Systems 79:97-110.
- Grubh, KR. 2010. Historical vegetation reconstruction using spatial modeling on pre-Euro-American data to inform ecosystem restoration in the Driftless Area of the US Midwest. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Knoot, TG, LA Schulte, M Rickenbach. 2010. Oak restoration and restoration on private forestlands: negotiating a socio-ecological landscape. Environmental Management 45:155-164.
- Knoot, TG, LA Schulte, JC Tyndall, BJ Palik. 2010. The state of the system and steps toward resilience of disturbance-dependent oak forests. Ecology and Society 15:5 [online] URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art5/
- Liebman, M, MJ Helmers, LA Schulte. 2010. Integrating conservation with biofuel feedstock production. Pages 131-142 in: M. Schnepf (ed.), Managing Agricultural Landscapes for Environmental Quality. Soil and Water Conservation Society of America, Ankeny, IA.
- Schulte, L, J Donahey, L Gran, T Isenhart, J Tyndall. 2010. People in Ecosystems/Watershed Integration (PE/WI): a dynamic watershed tool for linking agroecosystem outputs to land use and land cover. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 65:33A-36A.
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, LM Westphal. 2009. Landscape, community, and countryside: linking biophysical and social scales in U.S. Corn Belt conservation initiatives. Landscape Ecology 24:791-806.
- Dettman, CL, CM McMullen, LA Schulte. 2009. Restoration of midwestern U.S. savannas: one size does not fit all. Restoration Ecology 17:772-783.
- Farnsworth, DA. 2009. Establishing restoration baselines for the Loess Hills region. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Gass, RJ, M Rickenbach, LA Schulte, and K Zeuli. 2009. Cross-boundary coordination on forested landscapes: investigating alternatives for implementation. Environmental Management 43:107-117.
- Knoot, TG, LA Schulte, N Grudens-Schuck, M Rickenbach. 2009. The changing social landscape in the Midwest: a boon for forestry and bust for oak? Journal of Forestry 107:260-270.
- Lang, KD, LA Schulte, GR Guntenspergen. 2009. Forest dynamics in mesic northern hardwoods following windthrow and salvage logging. Forest Ecology and Management 259:56-64.
- Rayburn, A.P., L.A. Schulte. 2009. Integrating historic and contemporary data to delineate remnant natural areas within agricultural landscapes. Natural Areas Journal 24:4-14.
- Rayburn, AP, LA Schulte. 2009. Landscape change in an urbanizing U.S. Corn Belt watershed. Landscape and Urban Planning 93:132-141.
- Arbuckle, JG, M Helmers, M Liebman, L Schulte. 2008. From vulnerability to resiliency: Iowa agriculture in the age of biorenewables. White paper prepared at the request of the Office of Biorenewable Programs and College of Agriculture and Life Science at Iowa State University. 7 pp.
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, LM Westphal. 2008. Linking resilience and diffusions of innovations to restore perennial cover in the U.S. Corn Belt. Ecology and Society 14:30. [online] URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol14/iss1/art30
- Atwell, RC. 2008. Perennial vegetation, human adaptation, and resilience in the U.S. Corn Belt social-ecological system. PhD Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, BJ Palik. 2008. Songbird response to experimental retention harvesting in red pine (Pinus resinosa) forests. Forest Ecology and Management 255:3621-3631.
- Brown, PW. 2008. Using the past to create a sustainable future for agriculture: environmental and social landscape change in Iowa. PhD Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Keane, RE, JK Agee, P Fulé, JE Keeley, SG Kitchen, R Miller, LA Schulte. 2008. Ecological effects of large fires on US landscapes: benefit or catastrophe? International Journal of Wildland Fire 17:696-712.
- Knoot, TG. 2008. The state, resilience, and potential future of oak-dominated forests in the Driftless Area of the Midwestern U.S. PhD Dissertation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Mladenoff, DJ, LA Schulte, J Bolliger. 2008. Broad-scale change in the northern forests: from past to present. Chapter 5 in Waller, D, and T Rooney, editors. The vanishing present: Wisconsin's changing lands, waters, and wildlife. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- Moser, WK, J Bolliger, DC Bragg, MH Hansen, MA Hatfield, TA Nigh, LA Schulte. 2008. Tools for understanding landscapes: combining large-scale surveys with other information to characterize change. Chapter 10 in Lafortezza, R, J Chen, G Sanesi, T Crow, editors. Patterns and processes in forest landscapes: multiple use and sustainable management. Springer, New York, NY.
- Rickenbach, M, L Schulte. 2008. Cross-boundary coordination: working across tiny boxes. Woodland Management XXVIV:26-67.
- Schulte, LA, M Rickenbach, LC Merrick. 2008. Ecological and economic benefits of cross-boundary coordination among private forest owners. Landscape Ecology 23:481-496.
- Schulte, LA, M Rickenbach. 2008. Cross-boundary coordination among private landowners to achieve landscape management objectives. BetterFORESTS IX(3):18-19.
- Schulte, LA, H Asbjornsen, R Atwell, C Hart, M Helmers, T Isenhart, R Kolka, M Liebman, J Neal, M O'Neal, R Schultz, S Secchi, J Thompson, M Tomer, J Tyndall. 2008. Targeted conservation approaches for improving water quality: multiple benefits for expanded opportunities. PMR 1002. Iowa State University Extension, Ames, IA.
- Schulte, L, J Tyndall, RB Hall, K Grubh. 2008. Rapid assessment of woody biomass capabilities in three regions of the U.S. Midwest. White paper prepared at the request of the Office of Biorenewable Programs and College of Agriculture and Life Science at Iowa State University. 38 pp.
- Secchi, S, J Tyndall, LA Schulte, H Asbjornsen. 2008. High crop prices and conservation: Raising the stakes. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 63:68A-73A.
- Knoot, TG, LA Schulte, BP Palik. 2007. The potential loss of oak: A legacy and treasure of the Driftless Area landscape. BetterFORESTS IX:16-17, 19.
- Mottl, EC 2007. Oak forest decline and effects of two invasive shrubs in the Midwest Driftless Area: current status and implications for the future. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Schulte, LA 2007. JA Wiens, MR Moss, MG Turner, and DJ Mladenoff (editors), Foundation Papers in Landscape Ecology. Landscape Ecology 22:1589-1590.
- Schulte, LA , DJ Mladenoff, TR Crow, L Merrick, DT Cleland. 2007. Homogenization of northern U.S. Great Lakes forests as a result of land use. Landscape Ecology 22:1089-1103.
- Atwell, RC. 2006. M. Van den Belt, Mediated Modeling: A Systems Dynamics Approach to Environmental Consensus Building. Landscape Ecology 21:1167-1168.
- Atwell, RC, LA Schulte, L Westphal. 2006. Restoring perennial cover and ecological function in U.S. Corn Belt landscapes: The farmers perspective. Ecological Restoration 24:289-290.
- Crow, TR, DT Cleland, DM Donner, EJ Gustafson, J Probst, BR Sturtevant, PA Zollner, LR Parker, LA Schulte, DE Lytle. 2006. Managing Midwestern landscapes using ecological principles. Chapter 8 in Chen, J, SC Saunders, KD Brosofske, and TR Crow, editors. Ecology of Hierarchical Landscapes: From Theory to Application. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, NY.
- Derr, KD. 2006. Forest Dynamics in mesic northern hardwoods following windthrow and salvage logging. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Gass, R, MG Rickenbach, LA Schulte. 2006. Forest management on parcelized landscapes: Private forest owners assessments of cross-boundary alternatives. Pages 93-102 in Wall, S, editor. Proceedings from the IUFRO 3.08 Small-scale Forestry and Rural Development Conference, Galway, Ireland.
- Knoot, TG, N Grudens-Schuck, LA Schulte. 2006. Watershed learning activity: coming to terms with geographic scale. Journal of Extension: On-line], 44(3). Available at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2006june/tt4.shtml
- Rayburn, AP. 2006. Using the past to plan the future: retrospective assessment of landscape and land-use change in the Clear Creek watershed, Iowa. MS Thesis, Iowa State University, Ames, IA. (pdf 1.9M)
- Schulte, LA, M Liebman, H Asbjornsen, TR Crow. 2006. Agroecosystem restoration through strategic integration of perennials. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 61:164A-169A.
- Schulte, LA, RJ Mitchell, ML Hunter, Jr., JF Franklin, RK McIntyre, BJ Palik. 2006. Evaluating the conceptual tools for forest biodiversity conservation and their implementation in the U.S. Forest Ecology and Management 232:1-11.
- Schulte, LA , M Rickenbach, LC Merrick, R Gass. 2006. Cross-boundary coordination among private forest owners to achieve landscape management objectives. Pages 219-225 in Lafortezza, R and G Sanesi, editors. Patterns and processes in forest landscapes: consequences of human management. Proceedings of the 4th Meeting of IUFRO Working Party 8.01.03, Lacorotondo, Italy.
- Pidgeon, AM, LA Schulte, DJ Mladenoff. 2005. Pre-European distribution of the Pine Warbler, Dendroica pinus, in Wisconsin: a tool for setting regional conservation priorities. In Ralph, CJ and TD Rich, editors. Bird Conservation Implementation and Integration in the Americas: Proceedings of the Third International Partners in Flight Conference 2002. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-191. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Albany, CA.
- Schulte, LA, AM Pidgeon, DJ Mladenoff. 2005. One-hundred-fifty years of change in forest bird breeding habitat: historical and current estimates of species distributions. Conservation Biology 19:144-156.
- Schulte, LA. 2005. B. Donahue, The Great Meadow: Farmers and the land in colonial concord. Landscape Ecology 20:889-890.
- Schulte, LA, DJ Mladenoff. 2005. Severe wind and fire regimes in northern Wisconsin (USA) forests: historical variability at the regional scale. Ecology 86:431-445.
- Schulte, LA, DJ Mladenoff, SN Burrows, TA Sickley, EV Nordheim. 2005. Spatial controls of Pre-Euroamerican wind and fire in Wisconsin (USA) forests: A multiscale assessment. Ecosystems 8:73-91.
- Bolliger, J, LA Schulte, SN Burrows, TA Sickley, DJ Mladenoff. 2004. Assessing ecological restoration potentials of Wisconsin (USA) using historical landscape reconstructions. Restoration Ecology 12:124-142.
- Schulte, LA, TC Crow, J Vissage, DC Cleland. 2003. Seventy years of forest change in the northern Great Lakes Region, USA. Pages 99-101 in Buse, L., and A. Perera, compilers. Forest Research Information Paper Number 155. Ontario Forest Research Institute, Sault Sainte Marie, ON, Canada.
- Schulte, LA. 2002. Northern Wisconsin forests: pattern and process on a historical landscape. PhD Dissertation, University of Wisconsin – Madison.
- Schulte, LA, DJ Mladenoff, EV Nordheim. 2002. Quantitative classification of a historic northern Wisconsin landscape: mapping forests at regional scales. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32:1616-1638.
- Mladenoff, DJ, SE Dahir, EV Nordheim, LA Schulte, GG Guntenspergen. 2002. Narrowing historical uncertainty: probabilistic classification of ambiguously identified tree species in historical survey data. Ecosystems 5:539-553.
- Schulte, LA, DJ Mladenoff, EV Nordheim. 2002. Quantitative classification of a historic northern Wisconsin landscape: mapping forests at regional scales. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32:1616-1638.
- Schulte, LA, DJ Mladenoff. 2001. The original U.S. Public Land Survey records: their use and limitations in reconstruction pre-European settlement vegetation. Journal of Forestry 99:5-10.
- Schulte, LA, GJ Niemi. 1998. Bird populations in burned and logged forests of Northeastern Minnesota. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:1418-1429.
- Schulte, LA. 1996. Bird communities of early successional burned and logged forest in northeastern Minnesota. MS Thesis, University of Minnesota-Duluth.
- Schulte, LA, WJ Barnes. 1996. Presettlement vegetation of the lower Chippewa River floodplain. The Michigan Botanist 35:29-37.