Prospective students should only submit an official Graduate Student Application after a faculty member agrees to serve as their major professor.
Once all items on the checklist have been completed and submitted, your completed application file, including a letter of nomination from your sponsoring professor, will be reviewed by the NREM Graduate Admission Committee. The committee will then make a recommendation for admission to the NREM Director of Graduate Education (DOGE).
- Contact any NREM faculty of interest to you.
- E-mail them to inquire if they have plans to accept new graduate students.
- Attach a resume or Curriculum Vitae that describes your interests, academic background, and experience.
- Attach a cover letter briefly reviewing your background and stating as specifically as possible your graduate school and professional goals.
- If the faculty are accepting students, continue your correspondence. This may include a request for an interview.
- If the faculty indicates that they intend to nominate you for admittance, you will then begin the formal process of completing the Graduate Student Application. You will need the following materials to do so:
- Official transcripts (of all schools attended since high school)
- Three (3) letters of recommendations
- From persons qualified to judge your ability and potential for graduate study.
- Inform your references that this should be completed using an electronic form e-mailed to them through the application.
- International Students also submit:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores
- Financial statement
- For more details, visit the Graduate Application Information page
It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required materials and confirm they have been received. Allow several weeks for processing, then check with NREM for confirmation.
Applicants must obtain sponsorship from a professor before applying. Do not apply without this. Applications submitted through Iowa State University without faculty nomination will not be reviewed. Once your sponsorship is confirmed, you will be provided directions about application.
There are no official deadlines for applications.
Once you've reached the application phase, there will be a non-refundable application fee.
The only fee waivers available are for:
- McNair scholars
- US military veterans
- Actively serving military
Other than these populations, the application fee is required. You can ask your sponsoring professor to pay this for you, but they are not required to do so.
Do not submit an application until you've secured a sponsorship.
If you are looking for a sponsor, you'll need to reach out to professors who's background and research interest you. Below you can find NREM faculty of all interest areas.