• Short video highlights visual evidence of STRIPS benefits

  • Matt Helmers talks water quality and nutrient reduction

  • Follow this announcement to view our new promotional video!

search

Search form

About STRIPS

STRIPS stands for Science-based Trials of Rowcrops Integrated with Prairie Strips. The project is composed of a team of scientists, educators, farmers, and extension specialists working on the prairie strips agricultural conservation practice. Our research shows that prairie strips are an affordable option for farmers and farm landowners seeking to garner multiple conservation benefits. By converting just 10% of a crop-field to diverse, native perennials farmers and landowners can reduce the amount of soil leaving their fields by 90% and the amount of nitrogen leaving their fields by up to 85%. Prairie strips also provide habitat for biodiversity, including pollinators and other beneficial insects. 

To watch a short movie about the history, design, and benefits of prairie strips please click here.

To find out about our team, mission, vision, and guiding principles: Read More.

Interested in learning more or implementing prairie strips? Contact prairiestrips@iastate.edu today! 

Recent News

(November, 2014) STRIPS made the November 19th issue of the New York Times. Read Mark Bittman's column on a Sustainable Solution for the Corn Belt. The article made the NYT's "top ten" most emailed articles of the day.

(November, 2014) Listen and watch Dr. Mary Harris describe her research on pollinators and prairie strips in this Iowa Learning Farms webinar. This webinar was first delivered on November 19th. 

(November, 2014) Listen to webinar by Lisa Schulte Moore on the science and practice of prairie strips! The webinar was hosted by The Stewardship Network and was originally delivered on November 12th. 

(November, 2014) Click here to watch Matt Helmers discuss how STRIPS can benefit local and regional water quality.

Click here to watch Lisa Schulte Moore describe how visual and numerical data help stakeholders measure STRIPS benefits.

(November, 2014) Learn more about STRIPS - The Movie through this news release prepared by our partner, the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture. We also celebrate our 100th acre in prairie strips this month!